Can Drinking Too Much Water be Harmful to your Health?


Water

We are always being bombarded with the 8 glasses per day rule when it comes to water intake. This is all well and good but what if you surpass the recommended amount on a regular basis? Well, experts say that it’s not so much about the amount of water that is consumed per day, but more importantly, it’s about keeping the body well hydrated throughout the day and not having the urge to drink more than is required.

So, what happens when you ingest too much water than is required for your daily intake. Well, this condition is known as hyponatremia or water poisoning. It may not sound very serious but it can be quite severe in some cases especially if not treated fast and in the right way. In extreme cases, it may even result in death. How does this happen?

8x8 Water Rule

When the amount of water in the body is higher that normal, electrolytes in the body also reduce significantly in number and this imbalance is not good for the body. The result of this includes symptoms such as muscle cramps, nausea, dizziness, and convulsions.

8 Glasses of Water

Fortunately , water poisoning happens more to athletes than to the average person. In order to avoid this condition simply hydrate throughout the day and don’t take more water than your body requires. Also, avoid drinking large quantities of water at a go.

Benefits of Water